Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bad Beat Attitudes

This article is from : Curtiss III, a freelance poker writer and player. You can see the article by following the link.
http://www.do-or-die-poker.com/2008/06/08/pokerstars-bad-beat-put-me-back-in-the-tournament/

PokerStars bad beat put me back in the tournament
June 8th, 2008 by CIII
I don’t usually talk about bad beats in a winning context. Typically, when I take one, it is what it is and you move on. However, last night I happen to be the player that put the bad beat on the other guy. Here is how the hand played out:

I had $1860 and the blinds were about to go up to $150 / $75

The other guy, in the small blind, had $3300 or so. I was in late position and limped with my sevens along with two other players. The villain decides to raise it up to $450.

I thought about it for a few seconds and put him on KQ at best. I felt like he was making a move at the pot. So I re-raised him all-in hoping to push him off the hand. He shows King King instead.

OK, I am clearly dominated with his KK vs 77. No big deal.

The flop comes down [5][6][8]

The river is my beloved [9] and I hit the straight and win the hand. No big deal right?

Wrong!

For the next hour, before he busted out of the tournament, this guy gives me a hard time about re-raising him all-in with my pair of sevens. Usually, I don’t get into back and forths but I felt compelled to educate this knuckle head for some reason. I quickly informed him that he should have been thanking me for getting my chips in bad and making him a four to one Favorite.

Nope!

Somehow it was my fault the random number generator hit my hand and that variance reared its ugly head. These are the kind of players I loathe. You get the situation that every poker player prays for and then complain about it? That makes no sense. The fact of the matter is that the game has an eliment of luck that none of us can control. Not you, not me, not any of us. If you play well you are going to take bad beats once in a while.

Why is it so difficult to understand that concept? There is no such thing as always in No Limit Poker and never will be. The bad beats sting. In particularly the later in the tournament they occur. However, in poker, you need to win hands and races that sometimes you are not necessarily the favorite to win tournaments. I went on to make the final table after that hand and I am proud of it.

I have said it many times and I will say it again. It all evens out in the long run. We all win and lose our share of bad beats. Remember that the next time you want to give a guy a hard time at the table.

Curtis III